IEc developed the current versions of enforcement economic computer models under contract with the U.S. EPA Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance. IEc also staffs a toll-free helpline to assist government employees in the use of the models and related financial and economic issues that arise in enforcement actions.
For cases that require more extensive assistance, especially expert reports and testimony, IEc consultants can be retained under a variety of contract vehicles. For additional assistance on the computer models, IEc can also be retained to provide live training courses over the Internet and in person. Please contact the helpline to inquire about these services.
AVAILABLE MODELSInstall Models
- BEN – Calculates a violator’s economic benefit from pollution control noncompliance (current version 5.7.0).
- ABEL – Assesses a firm’s ability to afford civil penalties, Superfund cleanup costs, and pollution control expenditures (current version 6.7.1).
- INDIPAY – Assesses an individual’s ability to afford civil penalties, Superfund cleanup costs, and pollution control expenditures (current version 3.7.0).
- MUNIPAY – Assesses a municipality’s ability to afford civil penalties, Superfund cleanup costs, and pollution control expenditures (current version 4.7.0).
- PROJECT – Calculates the after-tax net present value (i.e., “real” cost) to a defendant of a proposed supplemental environmental project (current version 6.7.0).
DID YOU KNOW
Each model, when installed, provides a comprehensive help system, which you can access by clicking on the help icon or via the F1 key. Note that these enhanced help systems replace the previously available printed user’s manuals. Also, all programs include a web-update feature that can notify users when newer versions of the program become available.