Strategic Planning and Target Setting for a Low-Carbon Future
Organizations are facing higher investor, customer, and stakeholder expectations Transitioning to a low-carbon economy often requires rethinking procurement practices and business operations (e.g., leasing office and retail space, locating new facilities, making logistics decisions) to improve energy and environmental performance in alignment with core business and financial objectives. IEc educates clients on increasing stakeholder concerns and guides clients in strategically planning for a low-carbon future through evaluation of company operations, identification of areas for energy environmental impact reduction using a network of expert energy engineers, analysis of industry and market trends, and assessment of potential internal stakeholder participation.
Based on the strategic plan, IEc also helps organizations to develop measurable and results oriented targets that align with industry benchmarks and multiple sustainability standards and programs, such as the Science-Based Target Initiative and United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
Our services include:
- Materiality assessment and prioritization
- Internal interviews and site visits to gather information on what the organization is already doing, planning, or tried to address energy and environmental challenges
- Developing a carbon strategy and targets based on analysis energy efficiency measures, carbon free power options, and potential operational changes for: carbon impact, technical feasibility, cost-effectiveness/ROI, and responsiveness to frameworks such as SBTI and CDP
- Cost-effectiveness/ROI analysis of carbon free power options (e.g., on-site options, utility and CCA green power programs, PPAs/VPPAs)
- Communications with internal decision-makers (e.g., management and board briefings)
- Benchmarking to industry competitors
- Advising on purchase of high-quality RECs and offset options
- IEc developed Samsonite’s first carbon and energy reduction strategy and goals for operational carbon neutrality by analyzing trends in its GHG footprint, conducting site visits to major facilities, interviewing staff, and analyzing potential efficiency and renewable energy projects. IEc worked with Samsonite’s carbon reduction committee to finalize a carbon strategy and set reduction targets.